There have been some tremendous success stories for Wales this week in the junior sections of the British Championships.
Chirag Guha won the under 10 title with a score of 6/7, while Venetia Sivarajasingam netted the girl’s title with 5/7. This marks the end of a great championship for her, having won the girl’s under 9 title on the previous Saturday.
The under 14 championships brought further success for Wales, with Imogen Camp becoming joint winner of the girl’s title with 3.5/7.
In the under 12 championships, Stephanie de Toit was the second-placed girl with a score of 4.5/7. She had some great victories during the week, and may consider herself unlucky to have missed out on the girl’s title, having had to play joint-winner and pre-tournament favourite, Koby Kalavannan, in the final round. Just behind Stephanie were Shayanna Sivarajasingam and Benjamin Choo Yin, both scoring 4/7.
Many Welsh players are competing in events in the British Championships this week.
In the Under 10s, Wales is represented by Chirag Guha, Ifan Rathbone-Jones, Venetia Sivarajasingam and Susanna Fraser. Stephanie du Toit, Benjamin Choo Yin and Shayanna Sivarajasingam are competing in the Under 12s, and Imogen Camp is participating in the under 14s.
In the five-day morning events, the Welsh participants are Peter Richmond, David Sully, Alex Freeland, Roger Bennet, and David Buttell; and in the afternoon event Owen Bennett, David Buttell, Alex Freeland, Rhys Bennett and Julie Van Kemenade are taking part.
Round up for 23-27/07/2014
Over the last few days, a few of the Welsh players have had tremendous success at The British Championships.
One of the biggest highlights has come in the Under 9s, with Venetia Sivarajasingam winning the British Girls’ title. Her score of 5/7 in the two-day event that ran on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 July gave her a share of third place in the overall standings.
Another win for Wales came in the Week 1 PM Open, with Rudy Van Kermenade sharing first place with a score of 4 out of 5.
Other notable results:
Tim Kett coming second in the Open Rapidplay
Rhys Bennett coming joint-third in the Week 1 PM Open with 3.5/5
Tom Thorpe coming joint-third in the U180 event, with a score of 3.5/5.
Anna Boyle securing second-placed girl in the U8s, with a score of 3.5/6
Aishwarya Lutchman Singh, joint-third-placed girl in the U11 with 4/7
Nicholas Evans placing joint sixth in the U16s, with 4/7
Alyssa Wang, playing in a higher age group, second-placed girl in the U16/15s with 3/7
Wales was very well represented in the Under 8s and Under 9s, with several players gaining valuable experience and picking up points: Hiya Ray, Kavin Govindaraj, Nye Bradfield, Nayana Kalavala, Ethan Chung and Neil Stevenson.
With the Under 11s and Under 13s starting today, the reports seem to be getting longer and longer! At the top of the Championship, David Howell lost to Simon Williams to be 1.5 points off the lead, with Jonathan Hawkins leading the way on 4/4.
The results from Round 4 of the British Championship were:
GM Mark Hebdon 1-0 Tim Kett
Thomas Brown 0-1 Joseph McPhillips
Lee Davis 0.5-0.5 FM Mike Waddington
Joe Fathallah 0.5-0.5 Steven Jones
Alan Brusey 0-1 Alex Bullen
Allan Pleasants 1-0 Theo Slade
Wales scoring a strong 3/6 in today's pairings.
The Round 5 pairings for the British Championship are:
13. Tim Kett - Jeremy Menadue
14. Alex Bullen - FM Charlie Storey
17. Robert Willmoth - Thomas Brown
20. Oskar Hackner - Lee Davis
21. FM Mike Waddington - Joe Fathallah
24. Roy Hughes - Allan Pleasants
From the morning events, Wales scored 5.5/11. A respectable score considering we had two all Wales pairings.
1.Gareth Morris 1-0 Craig Woolcock
9. Thomas Thorpe 1-0 Patrick Ribbands
23. David Gilbert 1-0 Allan Fisher
27. Karanvir Lutchman Singh 1-0 Jim Nicholson
28. Timothy Allan 1-0 Andrew Camp
29. Syringa Camp 0-1 Stanley Johnson
5. Richard Zhu 0.5-0.5 Nicholas Evans
8. Alyssa Wang 1-0 Jordan Lewis
10. Imogen Camp 0-1 Owen Bennett
For the Week 1 PM tournament, Wales scored 2/5
61. Guy Wagner 0.5-0.5 Greg Hughes
62. Rudy van Kemenade 0-1 Carl Gartside
64. Rhys Bennett 0-1 Meyrick Shaw
67. Jonathan Wells 0.5-0.5 Craig Woolcock
71. Julie van Kemenade 1-0 Anna Purvis
Also today was the start of the U13s and U11s. The results from the Welsh contingent from these sections in round 1 were:
33. Emily Wang 0-1 Mahima Raghavendra
44. Neya Govinderaj 1-0 Mercedes Hobkirk-Capps
46. Aishwarya Lutchman Singh 1-0 Gabriel Weaver
Today we had the Opening Ceremony and the Ceremonial Move for the British Championship. I intend to put some photos up of this in the near future - keep your eyes out for those!
The Round 3 results from the British Championship were:
Alex Bullen 0-1 IM Jack Rudd
Tim Kett 1-0 Joe Fathallah
Lee Davis 0-1 FM Charlie Storey
Amy Hoare 0.5-0.5 Thomas Brown
Peter Shaw 1-0 Allan Pleasants
The all Welsh encounter didn't end up in a peaceful draw, as Tim managed to bat Joe. From the round, Wales picked up 1.5/6, but this is slightly skewed by the fact that we had 2 Welsh players playing each other.
The Round 4 pairings for the British Championship are:
6. GM Mark Hebdon - Tim Kett
13. Thomas Brown - Joseph McPhillips
21. Lee Davis - FM Mike Waddington
22. Joe Fathallah - Steven Jones
23. Alan Brusey - Alex Bullen
28. Allan Pleasants - Theo Slade
In the morning the Under 180, Under 140, Week 1 AM and the Under 16s started. Wales have 11 players competing in these sections. The Under 180 and Under 140 sections are on the live boards.
3. Brendan O'Gorman 0-1 Gareth Morris
9. William Graham 0.5-0.5 Thomas Thorpe
12. Craig Woolcock 1-0 Stephen Pride
21. Nicholas Mahoney 0.5-0.5 Karanvir Lutchman Singh
22. Eleanor Hapeshi 1-0 Syringa Camp
26. Allan Fisher 0.5-0.5 Bruce Oliver
30. Andrew Camp 0.5-0.5 Michael Gunn
3. Owen Bennett 0-1 Billy Twigge-Molecey
6. Nicholas Evans 1-0 Alyssa Wang
10. Hajane Anbukumar 1-0 Imogen Camp
In the afternoon the Week 1 PM, Major Open and Senior U150 sections started. Wales have 5 players playing in the Week 1 PM.
Week 1 PM:
63. Joshua Cavendish 0-1 Rudy van Kemenade
64. Matthew Payne 1-0 Julie van Kemenade
69. Malcolm Winter 0-1 Guy Wagner
70. Craig Woolcock 1-0 Anna Purvis
73. Thivyaa Rahulan 0-1 Rhys Bennett
Tomorrow the Under 11s and Under 13s will be starting. Pairings can be found in the links section and my reports will contain the results from the events.
Sorry for the delay to this report: turns out playing, controlling and games inputting is a lot of work!
The round 2 results from the British from the Welsh players were:
GM John Emms 1-0 Alex Bullen
IM Daniel Fernandez 1-0 Lee Davis
Joe Fathallah 0-1 FM Justin Tan
Anthony Zhang 0.5-0.5 Tim Kett
Allan Pleasants 0.5-0.5 Joseph McPhillips
Thomas Brown 1-0 Martin Clancy
A tricky day for the Welsh players, scoring 2/6 after a strong round 1. Unfortunately, the round 3 pairings were released with 2 Welsh players playing each other - hopefully this doesn't happen too much throughout the tournament.
The round 3 pairings for the British Championship are:
12. Alex Bullen - IM Jack Rudd
13. Tim Kett - Joe Fathallah
14. Lee Davis - FM Charlie Storey
18. Amy Hoare - Tom Brown
22. Peter Shaw - Allan Pleasants
In the U2000 rapidplay that also occurred today, Rudy van Kemenade got joint second with 5/6, Howard Leah scored 2/6 and Christopher King scored 1.5/6.
Due to the upcoming Olympiad in Tromso, the British Championships has a different schedule than usual. The main Championship have started 2 days earlier to allow an earlier finish for those playing in the Olympiad.
As such, the first day consisted of just the British Championship:
4. IM Jonathan Hawkins 1-0 Thomas Brown
14. FM James Jackson 1-0 Allan Pleasants
16. FM Andrew Lewis d-1 Alex Bullen
18. Tim Kett 0.5-0.5 Michael Fernandez
22. Joseph McPhillips 0-1 Lee Davis
24. Peter Shaw 0-1 Joe Fathallah
29. Rudy Van Kemendae 0.5-0.5 Alistair Hill
For Wales we have 6 players representing us, with 3.5/6 being scored today. Rudy van Kemenade kindly stepped in as a filler today and will be representing Wales in other sections later on in the festival. Highlights of the day must be Lee and Joe's upsets against opponents around 200 FIDE points above them.
Tomorrow we have the U2000 rapidplay and the 2nd round of the British Championship, where the pairings are:
7. GM John Emms - Alex Bullen
10. IM Daniel Fernandez - Lee Davis
11. Joe Fathallah - FM Justin Tan
13. Anthony Zhang - Tim Kett
21. Allan Pleasants - Joseph McPhillips
26. Thomas Brown - Martin Clancy