28th July ~ 8th August
British Chess Championships 2009
9 players from Wales competed in The British Chess Championships held in Torquay this year. The Riviera Centre was a great venue in a lovely seaside location.
- James Cobb scored 6/11 in the British Championships
- William Elworthy from Newport and Gareth Morris from Barrycompeted in the British Under 150 scoring 2½ /5 and 3/5 respectively
- Caro Hunt played in the British Seniors event scoring 2½ / 7
- Syringa Turvey-Cross played in the Rapidplay scoring 2/6
- Stephen Rees was in the Yates Under 110 Weekender scoring 2/5
- Megan Owens won the British Girls Under 14 title with 4½ / 7 coming joint 4th. She was also awarded the Roy Clues Trophy for the best Welsh performance.
- Thomas Payne scored 3/7 in the Under 9’s
- Imogen Turvey-Cross who plays for Llandudno won the British Girls Under 8’s title with 4/7 coming joint 4th.
Kevin Stavely was awarded the Richard Boxall plate for all his hard work at the event. Equally fantastic jobs were performed by Peter Purland, Wilf Arnold and John Thornton.